Monday, July 20, 2015

Nursing on the Africa Mercy

In the next few posts, I will be sharing with you a little more about Mercy Ships and the Africa Mercy where I will be living and working for the next year. 

This second post in the series is geared towards my medical professional followers out there. I wanted you all to see a small piece of what nursing is like on the Africa Mercy. Watch this clip of some volunteers explaining why this ship is so special:



Obviously, I can't explain exactly what the ship is like since I am not there yet. That's why I'm using these videos to introduce you all to Mercy Ships until I have more personal experience. I've spent months reading and watching everything I can get my hands on about the amazing responsibility of a nurse on the Africa Mercy. Don't get me wrong, I have had some great experiences working in several hospitals in the States; and I've worked with many awesome nurses here. However, one of the things I am looking forward to the most is a new environment where everyone I am working with is volunteering to be there just like me. It brings a different feeling to the workplace, and hopefully, the best possible care for each patient.

Once I arrive on the ship, I will be working as a pediatric ward nurse (primarily taking care of children, unless needed elsewhere). Most of the patients will be recovering from surgery for things like cleft lip, tumor removal, limb straightening, club foot or other skin repairs. I'll work about five 8 hour shifts a week rotating between day, evening and nights. I am nervous about working in such a different specialty than I'm used to (coming from an oncology background) but excited to learn! The ship also has different sections that provide gynecological, eye and dental surgeries.

Next in the series: Why does the mission of Mercy Ships matter?

Please be in prayer for each future patient that will be taken care of on the Africa Mercy. Already, there are teams on the ground all over Madagascar holding screenings to find eligible patients for the coming year. God already knows and loves each patient that will be selected and I pray that they will feel that love through the care that will be provided in his/her time on the ship.

No comments: